Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River records

Title

Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River records

Description

The Tappahannock Female Seminary was founded by Lucy Yates Wellford Gray in 1818 as an educational institution for young girls. The wife of Dr. Thomas Branch Willson Gray, Mrs. Gray opened the seminary in her home on Prince Street in Tappahannock following the death of her husband. At some point in its history the school began to admit male students. The institution also underwent a name change becoming known as the Tappahanock Seminary on the Rappahannock River. Several hundred boys and girls attended the institution from the time of its founding until its closing in 1860 following the death of Mrs. Gray. The school taught reading, writing, figuring, domestic arts, music, drawing, and manners, and was well-respected and highly patronized.

The collection contains three items: a carte de visite of Lucy Yates Wellford Gray, a handwritten copy of Regulations to be observed by the pupils of the Tappahannock Female Seminary and a roster of students entitled: Mrs. Lucy Y. Gray's pupils, 1818. The roster lists students from the years 1818-1860.

Items in the Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River records Collection

Carte de visite of Lucy Yates Wellford Gray
Carte de visite supposed to depict Lucy Wellford Yates Gray, founder and principal of the Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River.

Regulations to be observed by the pupils of the Tappahannock Female Seminary
A list of rules to be followed by the students attending the Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River founded by Lucy Yates Wellford Gray in 1818. The regulations were written by Gray who was the school's founder and principal.

A roster of pupils attending the Tappahannock Seminary on the Rappahannock River. The school was originally founded by Lucy Yates Wellford Gray in 1818 to educate girls. Boys were admitted later in its history. The roster lists students who attended…