Earl Gregg Swem Photograph Collection

Title

Earl Gregg Swem Photograph Collection

Subject

Swem, E.G. (Earl Gregg), 1870-1965
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architectural photographs - 1920-1930

Description

Dr. Earl Gregg Swem served as a librarian at the College of William and Mary from 1920-1944. A graduate of Lafayette College, he began building his library career through several positions in the Chicago area in the late 19th-century. In 1903, he accepted an appointment to a position in the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress. He then held the position of Assistant State Librarian of Virginia from 1907-1919. In 1920, he arrived in Williamsburg to head the College of William & Mary's Library, where he worked diligently to expand its historical collections into what would one day be the nucleus of the library's Special Collections Research Center. During his tenure at the College of William & Mary, Swem also managed the William & Mary Quarterly and published the Virginia Historical Index in 1936. After his death in 1965, the College named its new main library the Earl Gregg Swem Library in his honor.

It is not known whether Swem took the photographs in this collection himself or gathered them from various local sources as part of his ongoing research on Virginia history topics. They date to circa 1920-1921 and primarily document buildings in Williamsburg's historic area prior to their restoration.

Creator

Swem, Earl Gregg

Date

Early 1920s

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Items in the Earl Gregg Swem Photograph Collection Collection

Grissell-Hay Tenement
Pre-restoration view of the south façade of the the Grissell-Hay Lodging House (formerly the Archibald Blair House or Van Garrett Tenement,)

Thomas Everard Kitchen
Pre-restoration view of west façade of the Thomas Everard Kitchen (formerly known as the Brush-Everard Kitchen), Williamsburg, Virginia.

Booker Tenement
Pre-restoration view of the Booker Tenement (formerly known as the Redwood Ordinary) located on Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Prentis Store, Williamsburg, Virginia
South and east facades of the Prentis Store (formerly Dr. Blair's Apothecary Shop), when operated as a barber shop, 213 E. Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

St. George Tucker House
Pre-restoration view of south façade of the St. George Tucker House, Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Thomas Everard Office
West façade of the Thomas Everard Office (formerly Brush-Everard Office), Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition during the restoration of the site.

William Lightfoot House
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of the William Lightfoot House (formerly Nightingale House), Williamsburg, Virginia. The Norfolk Café is visible to the left.

Log Cabin, Kingsmill Farm, Williamsburg, Virginia
A log cabin located on Kingsmill Farm, York County, Virginia

 Lightfoot House
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of the Lightfoot House (formerly the Allen-Byrd House or Coke House), Williamsburg, Virginia.

Thomas Everard Smokehouse
Pre-restoration view of the Thomas Everard (formerly Brush-Everard) Smokehouse , Williamsburg, Virginia.

Benjamin Waller House
Pre-restoration view of north and east facades of the Benjamin Waller House (formerly known as the Morecock House), Williamsburg, Virginia.

Bracken Tenement
Pre-restoration view of north façade of the Bracken Tenement, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Williamsburg Hotel
North and west facades of the Williamsburg Hotel (formerly Bell's Hospital), Williamsburg, Virginia. This building was located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, but was demolished during the restoration.

Galt Outbuilding
Galt Outbuilding (also known as Galt-Kirby Outbuilding), Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia

Taliaferro-Cole House
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of the Taliaferro-Cole House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Benjamin Powell House
Pre-restoration view of the west façade of the Benjamin Powell House (formerly the Powell-Waller House), Williamsburg, Virginia

Chiswell-Bucktrout House
Pre-restoration view of north façade of the Chiswell-Bucktrout House (formerly the Chiswell House), Williamsburg, Virginia

Lane House
Colonel L. W. Lane House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Tayloe House
Pre-restoration view of south façade of the Tayloe House (formerly known as the Elizabeth Coleman House), Williamsburg, Virginia

House near Smithfield, Virginia
An unidentified house near Smithfield, Virginia