Browse Items (232 total)

  • Collection: F.S. Lincoln Photography Collection

LC331P2.jpg
This view of the south and east facade of the Courthouse shows the building with its unique cantilevered entrance porch. This original building was constructed shortly before the Revolution and it is thought that the stone columns intended to support…

LC325P1.jpg
Interior view of the Clerk's Office in the House of Burgesses, Capitol Building, 1935.  Charles Willson Peale's portrait of Washington (accession # 1933-502, A&B) is featured prominently on the wall. In 1928, it was acquired by John D.…

LC327P44.jpg
The vista south along Palace Green is a feature mentioned by Thomas Jefferson who noted that native American catalpa trees were planted along the sides. The open space continues south of Duke of Gloucester Street on what Benjamin Bucktrout's map of…

LC326P10.jpg
The Apollo Room at the Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence. Dinners and dances rivaled in elegance those at the Palace. Burgesses reconvened at the tavern when they were dissolved by royal governors prior to the…

LC332P5.jpg
This view looking northeast at the St. George Tucker property shows one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. Later additions and outbuildings have been removed and…

LC367P1.jpg
The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that are undertaken when research identifies incorrectly interpreted features. Used as the…

LC361P4.jpg
This view, looking southwest in the Custis Tenement gardens, shows the plan following the outlines of the British Union Jack as designed by Arthur Shurcliff. Investigations and research were undertaken and, where no information was found, the garden…

LC327P41.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view from the northeast, 1935. This image of the Governor's Palace, shown as it was first reconstructed, includes features and details that changed with later research and investigation. Wrought-iron gates and the…

LC327P9.jpg
This view from the pleached hornbeam arbor at the Governor’s Palace shows the north and west facades. The ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, includes the royal arms in its pedimented gable. Gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include…

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

LC364P3.jpg
This image of the present-day Christmas Shop, in what is known as the Arcade Building, shows the evolution of uses on Merchant's Square. Among the earliest in the shopping mall genre, the area has had a variety of tenants. Initially the town's post…

LC357P2.jpg
This view of the north front of the William Finnie House shows the property as first restored. An original structure remaining intact from the late eighteenth century, the building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture and…

LC332P11.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

LC329P17.jpg
Front elevation of the Wren Building, College of William and Mary, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC357P1.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the…

LC357P3.jpg
Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and…

LC357P4.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early…

LC357P5.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…