Browse Items (1343 total)

HLS-105.jpg
The Virginia Electric and Power (VEPCO) Building once stood adjacent to the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia. This photo from circa 1930 shows the structure just prior to its demolition as part of the process of reconstructing…

HLS-52.jpg
Rear elevation of the Custis Tenement, once known as the Maupin House, as it appeared from the west in 1932. Landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff designed the formal boxwood garden laid out in parterres between brick pathways and based it upon a…

HLS-26.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a man dwarfed by huge boxwood hedges at an unidentified location, possibly in Virginia.

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-14.jpg
An aerial view of Mt. Vernon, showing the layout of the buildings and surrounding lanes and landscaping.

HLS-10.jpg
A map of Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area, showing an elevated perspective view of the city and indicating many of the important exhibition buildings.

HLS-11.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photograph of an engraving made from the Bodleian plate, an 18th-century copperplate discovered at the Bodleian Library that provided crucial visual evidence of the appearance of several public buildings in 18th-century…

HLS-12.jpg
Drawing titled "Arrangement of Farmyards and Buildings. The Willis K. Daniels Farm, Cornish, N.H.," executed by Arthur A. Shurcliff, October 1917.

The drawing consists of a map of the small farm, showing the locations of various buildings and…

HLS-15.jpg
View of the side of the main building at Bacon's Castle with its gable end and triple chimney. Located in Surry County, Virginia, the home was erected in 1665 by colonial planter Arthur Allen.

HLS-16.jpg
Front elevation of Mt. Airy, the seat of the Tayloe family near Richmond, Virginia, as it looked in the first half of the twentieth-century.

HLS-53.jpg
View of a paper mulberry tree ringed by boxwood hedges in the garden behind Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, mid-1930s. Artist Charles Sheeler would later paint this same tree in an oil painting titled "Bassett Hall" given to Abby Aldrich…

HLS-25.jpg
View of the garden and grounds of Fonthill Castle, Doylestown, Pennsylvania, circa 1935.

HLS-44.jpg
Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-77.jpg
Boxwood plants arriving on Chesapeake & Ohio railroad cars behind the Governor's Palace during the installation of the complex's extensive formal garden in the early 1930s.

HLS-118.jpg
Overhead view of outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1935. The brick buildings in the back (side by side, facing the camera) are the Scullery and Palace Kitchen. Directly in front of the Palace Kitchen is the whitewashed…

HLS-17.jpg
Exterior elevation of Westover Plantation, Charles City County, Virginia, as viewed from the James River.