Browse Items (75 total)

  • Tags: Automobiles

S554.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking east on Duke of Gloucester Street from College Corner, Williamsburg, Virginia, December 1, 1931. The south block of Merchants Square, a shopping district created for businesses being displaced by Williamsburg's…

S106.jpg
Pre-restoration view of a portion of Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to the removal of the grass median and telephone poles, Dec. 11, 1928.

S364.jpg
View looking towards the Williamsburg Train Station at its old location near the intersection of today's England and Lafayette streets in Williamsburg, Virginia, May 1930

S1205.jpg
An aerial view of the parking lot in Merchants Square during construction of the new business district in Williamsburg, Virginia, November 1931.

N344.jpg
Restoration progress photo of the Grissell Hay Lodging House Kitchen, formerly known as the Van Garrett Kitchen and the Archibald Blair Kitchen, located on North England Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, . March 3, 1931.

N388.jpg
View of the west elevation of the Pocahontas Tea Room, located on Boundary Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 13, 1931. This building was later demolished.

N312.jpg
Progress photo of Casey's Store under construction, Williamsburg, Virginia, February 16, 1931. Once located on the corner of North Henry and Duke of Gloucester Street, the site is presently occupied by the College of William and Mary Bookstore.

N151M.jpg
Laborers installing underground wiring along Duke of Gloucester Street in the Merchants Square area, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1932.

N146.jpg
A restaurant at the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Boundary Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The building housed a soda fountain and luncheonette. Several signs mark the busy intersection, including one for the Pocahontas Tea…

N368.jpg
View of the northeast elevation of the Peninsula Bank, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa March 1931. The bank was located at the corner of King Street and the Duke of Gloucester Street and was torn down during the restoration.

N5969.jpg
View of visitors seated on rocking chairs outside the Williamsburg Lodge soon after its completion, circa 1938.

N383.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of Market Square Tavern, formerly known as the Raleigh Hotel), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The adjacent building housing the Dana Real Estate Office was demolished as restoration work progressed.

N417.jpg
Progress photo of the south elevation of the Tucker-Coleman House, now known as the St. George Tucker House, Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, March, 1931.

N219.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the St. George Tucker House, formerly the Tucker-Coleman House, Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, January 19, 1931.

N242M.jpg
President Franklin D. Roosevelt's motorcade in front of the Capitol during the dedication ceremony for Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, on October 20, 1934.

H143 Print Hol-263.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Tayloe House and Office, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H180 Print Hol-222.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking east along Prince George Street at intersection of North Henry Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H045 Print Hol-42.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the intersection of Duke of Gloucester Street and Henry Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. To the left is the College Pharmacy and to the right is Casey's Store.

H019 Print Hol-73.jpg
View of Bowden-Armistead House showing the west and south facades, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Bruton Parish Church is visible to the right.

H235 Print Hol-114.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Duke of Gloucester Street looking west from its intersection with Botetourt Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2