Browse Items (129 total)

  • Tags: Brickwork

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-67.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Williamsburg Theater on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

HLS-36.jpg
Roses blooming within a walled garden at an unidentified country house in the village of Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, England.

HLS-101.jpg
View of part of the apsidal ends of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, during its reconstruction in the early 1930s.

AV-1996-24-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard produced by The Albertype Co. to promote the Powder Magazine as an historic site after its initial preservation by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.

The octagonal Powder Magazine is an…

AV-2000-02-29-R.jpg
Recto of postcard illustrated with a photo of the Powder Magazine covered in a thick coat of ivy. Part of a series of photos taken by The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New York, and published by the Williamsburg Drug Co., the card dates to the era when…

AVPC-031-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring two costumed interpreters portraying jailors posing by the pillory outside the Public Gaol. The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, NY produced some of the earliest official postcards for Colonial Williamsburg. This one…

AVPC-424-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring an illustration of the Powder Magazine and Guardhouse drawn by Charles H. Overly.

The caption reads: "In colonial times, the Magazine housed arms for the defense of Virginia. This building and the…

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

AVPC-032-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the stocks and pillory when they were located outside the Public Gaol. A costumed interpreter portraying a jailor poses beside the pillory, a popular photo opportunity for early tourists to Colonial…

AVPC-029-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a view of tourists posing in the pillory outside the Public Gaol. An official Colonial Williamsburg card published by the H.S. Crocker Co., Inc. and postmarked 1962, it depicts a popular gathering place for…

AVPC-070-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, circa late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Erected in 1755, this house was willed to George Wythe in 1775. Wythe…

D-3D.jpg
Foundations of the Raleigh Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its reconstruction, circa 1929.

D-2B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

D-5.jpg
Foundation remains on site of Masonic Lodge, circa 1928.

D-8A.jpg
Front elevation of the George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this era.
Dr. Goodwin added the…

D-9.jpg
Front elevation of the George Wythe House looking south along Palace Green towards Bruton Parish Church. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this…