Browse Items (129 total)

  • Tags: Brickwork

LC364P3.jpg
This image of the present-day Christmas Shop, in what is known as the Arcade Building, shows the evolution of uses on Merchant's Square. Among the earliest in the shopping mall genre, the area has had a variety of tenants. Initially the town's post…

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

LC327P41.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view from the northeast, 1935. This image of the Governor's Palace, shown as it was first reconstructed, includes features and details that changed with later research and investigation. Wrought-iron gates and the…

LC367P1.jpg
The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that are undertaken when research identifies incorrectly interpreted features. Used as the…

LC331P2.jpg
This view of the south and east facade of the Courthouse shows the building with its unique cantilevered entrance porch. This original building was constructed shortly before the Revolution and it is thought that the stone columns intended to support…

LC332P6.jpg
Close-up view of the chimney of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added…

LC334P1.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the museum's founding as the first…

LC334P2.jpg
A costumed interpreter stands at the front entrance of Ludwell-Paradise House in 1935, soon after it opened as one of the early exhibition buildings at Colonial Williamsburg.

One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at…

LC334P7.jpg
Oblique view of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise house looking west down Duke of Gloucester Street towards the Prentis Store, 1935. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an…

LC335P1.jpg
View of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683 until 1715, when the larger and more elaborate cruciform-style church replaced it. Located at the edge of…

LC354P2.jpg
The octagonal Powder Magazine is an original eighteenth-century structure and has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715 under the orders of Governor Spotswood, the Magazine first served as a secure storage site for arms,…

LC369P2.jpg
Exterior of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "Built in 1732-1733, the President's House has been the residence of every president of the College of William and Mary save one...During the last…

LC368P2.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

LC368P1.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

LC367P2.jpg
Exterior of the Nicholas-Tyler Office as viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that…

LC366P3.jpg
Exterior of the new James City County Courthouse, detail of brick wall, 1935. The brick headers and stretchers of this wall are arranged in a Flemish bond pattern.

LC366P2.jpg
Exterior of the new James City County Courthouse, view of arched brick colonnade, 1935. The brick headers and stretchers of the walls are arranged in a Flemish bond pattern.

LC366P1.jpg
Exterior of the new James City County Courthouse, side view of arched brick colonnade and second story, 1935. The brick headers and stretchers of the walls are arranged in a Flemish bond pattern.

LC365P6.jpg
Oblique view of the front elevations of the Ludwell-Paradise House and Prentis Store, looking east down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935.  One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Ludwell-Paradise…

LC364P6.jpg
Exterior of the Margaret Hunter Shop, once known as Pender's Grocery, looking east down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of…