Browse Items (349 total)

  • Tags: Chimneys

Swem-36.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of the Lightfoot House (formerly the Allen-Byrd House or Coke House), Williamsburg, Virginia.

LC364P1.jpg
When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed…

D-105.jpg
View of the Dolly Jones House and St. Luke House on Prince George Street prior to their demolition, Williamsburg, Virginia, ca.1928.

Swem-07.jpg
Pre-restoration view of south and east facades of the Alexander Craig House (formerly the Vaiden House), Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

H240 Print Hol-121.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking northeast of the Alexander Craig House (formerly known as the Vaiden House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H239 Print Hol-118.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking northeast across Duke of Gloucester Street towards the Alexander Craig House (formerly known as the Vaiden House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Further along the street is the Lee House, the Bryan House and E.M.…

LC370P1.jpg
View of Alexander Purdie House from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The reconstructed Alexander Purdie House serves as the east wing of the King's Arms Tavern. In 1774, the Scottish-born Purdie founded the third of three Williamsburg newspapers…

Na1706.jpg
View of Allard House before being demolished, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

LC364P3.jpg
This image of the present-day Christmas Shop, in what is known as the Arcade Building, shows the evolution of uses on Merchant's Square. Among the earliest in the shopping mall genre, the area has had a variety of tenants. Initially the town's post…

AV-99-24-03-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a pre-restoration photo of the Thomas Everard House when known as the Audrey House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-74.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Ayscough house, formerly known as the Bourbon house, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC356P1.jpg
View across Francis Street towards the Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt,…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

N580.jpg
View of the front elevation of the B.D. Peachy House located on Courthouse Green in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The house was later relocated in the 1930s as part of the restoration of Courthouse Green to its eighteenth-century appearance.

HLS-15.jpg
View of the side of the main building at Bacon's Castle with its gable end and triple chimney. Located in Surry County, Virginia, the home was erected in 1665 by colonial planter Arthur Allen.

S597.jpg
Detail of exterior of Bacon's Castle, Surry County, Virginia, June, 1931.

D-32.jpg
Pre-restoration view of northwest corner of Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928,

H197 Print Hol-200.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north façade of Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2