Browse Items (59 total)

  • Tags: Lost Architecture

H145 Print Hol-262.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Nicholson School once located on Nicholson Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H277 Print Hol-166.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the corner of Francis Street and South England Street looking southeast from Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa. 1928. The Moss House, now demolished, is visible in the foreground.

H164 Print Hol-239.jpg
View of south façade of the Williamsburg High School when located on the site of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H238 Print Hol-119.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Raleigh Tavern site when occupied by the L.W. Lane Store, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H248 Print Hol-128.jpg
View looking southeast of the north façade of the Macon House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928, before its demolition for the reconstruction of the Alexander Purdie House.

H222 Print Hol-99.jpg
Pre-restoration view of north and east facades of the Raleigh Hotel on present site of Market Square Tavern, located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The adjacent buildings, which were the locations of the Dana Real…

TB236, Print Hol-132.jpg
Pre-restoration view of north facade of Tilledge House on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition, circa 1928.

H232 Print Hol-111.jpg
Looking northwest on Duke of Gloucester Street towards the James City Furniture Company (formerly Samuel Harris Store) in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H215 Print Hol-92.jpg
Hotel Williamsburg, later Bell’s Hospital, located near the Powder Magazine on Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H004 Print Hol-88.jpg
View looking northeast of southwest elevation of the Colonial Hotel, on the site of present-day Chownings Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Colonial Hotel became a Williamsburg Inn annex and was later demolished

D-110.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Mayo House, also known as Boston House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-109.jpg
African-American children sit on the front porch of a house once located in Block 38, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-108.jpg
View of houses along Prince George Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Residence pictured are, right to left: St. Luke's House, also known as Rose of Sharon House; Dolly Jones House; Willie Jones House; and Bonner House. An African American…

D-106.jpg
John Cary House when located on Block 34, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition, circa 1928.

D-105.jpg
View of the Dolly Jones House and St. Luke House on Prince George Street prior to their demolition, Williamsburg, Virginia, ca.1928.

D-104.jpg
African American houses once located on Block 38, Buildings 20, 21 and 25, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to their demolition, circa 1928.

D-101-2.jpg
View looking down Palace Green towards Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1928. Building pictured on the right are, left to right: George Wythe House, Presbyterian Church (no longer standing), and Calhoun House (no longer…

D-101-1.jpg
View looking down Palace Green towards Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1928. Building pictured on the right are, left to right: George Wythe House, Presbyterian Church (no longer standing), and Calhoun House (no longer standing).…

D-95.jpg
Mahone store and outbuildings prior to their demolition when located on Block 9, Buildings 12, 16, and 32, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-93.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Duke of Gloucester Street looking east on Block 22 near Henry Street, Williamsburg, Virginia circa 1928. Identifiable stores in the foreground include (left side) College Pharmacy, R.T. Casey & Sons General Merchandise and…