Browse Items (271 total)

  • Tags: Pre-Restoration

N369.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Courthouse of 1770 located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, March 1931. At this point in time, columns and chimneys are still in place on the Courthouse, above ground power…

N421.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the east elevation of the Henley House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. This structure was demolished during the restoration.

N5344.jpg
Scaffolding surrounds the Powder Magazine during its restoration on Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

N5972.jpg
Pre-restoration view from northeast of exterior of the Taliaferro-Cole Shop, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 13, 1939.

N6423.jpg
Pre-restoration view from Palace Green of the George Wythe House,Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1900.

N4479.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Bruton Parish House in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1934. Photographer Frank Nivison used a room within the house as his darkroom and studio while working as a contract photographer for the Williamsburg Holding Corp. in the…

N3364.jpg
A pre-restoration view of the Courthouse of 1770 on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Colonial Hotel is visible beyond it. A cow grazes along the edge of the street.

N146.jpg
A restaurant at the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Boundary Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The building housed a soda fountain and luncheonette. Several signs mark the busy intersection, including one for the Pocahontas Tea…

N488.jpg
View of the south elevation of the Martha Washington Coffee Shop on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1931. Exterior signs identify the building as "Martha Washington Coffee Shop," and "Home of Good Eats. Best Cup of…

N368.jpg
View of the northeast elevation of the Peninsula Bank, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa March 1931. The bank was located at the corner of King Street and the Duke of Gloucester Street and was torn down during the restoration.

N156M.jpg
View looking west on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, likely taken from the balcony or cupola of the Capitol, shortly before reconstruction of the street and removal of center island, January 15, 1934. The Cary Peyton Armistead…

N383.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of Market Square Tavern, formerly known as the Raleigh Hotel), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The adjacent building housing the Dana Real Estate Office was demolished as restoration work progressed.

N219.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the St. George Tucker House, formerly the Tucker-Coleman House, Nicholson Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, January 19, 1931.

N215.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of the Lightfoot House, formerly known as the Nightengale House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930.

N121.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the east elevation of the columned portico of the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Carter-Saunders House and the Saunders-Dinwiddie House, Williamsburg, Virginia, winter 1931.

H129 Print Hol-281.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the west and south elevations of the Benjamin Powell House in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H128 Print Hol-280.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the west and south elevations of the Benjamin Powell Office in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H124 Print Hol-282.jpg
Pre-restoration photo of the north and west elevations of the Rabon House [formerly known by the names Saunders House and Clowes House] in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H145 Print Hol-262.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Nicholson School once located on Nicholson Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H146 Print Hol-261.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Peyton Randolph House on Nicholson Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2