Browse Items (271 total)

  • Tags: Pre-Restoration

HLS-105.jpg
The Virginia Electric and Power (VEPCO) Building once stood adjacent to the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia. This photo from circa 1930 shows the structure just prior to its demolition as part of the process of reconstructing…

HLS-40.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

HLS-43.jpg
Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other…

HLS-65.jpg
Pre-restoration view along Block 14 of Duke of Gloucester Street, site of the present day Catherine Blaikley House and Durfey Shop. Located on the south side of the street, the Luttrell Building housed several small businesses and a post office.

HLS-74.jpg
Remnants of boxwood and an ornamental bench provide a pre-restoration view of the garden behind the Coke-Garrett House.

D-3D.jpg
Foundations of the Raleigh Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its reconstruction, circa 1929.

D-1.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Travis House undergoing repairs, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-2B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-2D.jpg
Pre- restoration view of front and side elevations of the Taliaferro-Cole House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

D-4.jpg
Pre-restoration view of William Finnie House (formerly the James Semple House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-5.jpg
Foundation remains on site of Masonic Lodge, circa 1928.

D-5A.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Martha Custis Kitchen, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-6.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, including Bootsie Smith house, Fred Epps house, and Mount Ararat Baptist Church, circa 1928.

D-7.jpg
Williamsburg High School on the site of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Virginia Electric & Power Co. buildings are visible in the background.

D-7D.jpg
Structures on Cole Property, Rectory (no longer standing) and Taliaferro-Cole Shop (selling post cards and road maps), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-8A.jpg
Front elevation of the George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this era.
Dr. Goodwin added the…

D-9.jpg
Front elevation of the George Wythe House looking south along Palace Green towards Bruton Parish Church. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this…

D-10.jpg
Old Female Institute, Williamsburg, Virginia, before its demolition.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2