Browse Items (34 total)

  • Tags: Retail Stores

N5972.jpg
Pre-restoration view from northeast of exterior of the Taliaferro-Cole Shop, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 13, 1939.

N383.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of Market Square Tavern, formerly known as the Raleigh Hotel), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. The adjacent building housing the Dana Real Estate Office was demolished as restoration work progressed.

N3521.jpg
Progress photo of the business block, now known as Merchants Square, in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1934. The A&P Food Market (left) is located at the site of today's Craft House, and Stringfellow Electric Corp. (right) is located at the site of…

H048 Print Hol-36+.jpg
Old College Shop on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H035 Print Hol-53.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Block 22 on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Buildings pictured include Griffin Building, Army Store, Peninsula Hardware, Ferguson Print Shop, John Blair House, and Mullen's Store.

H031 Print Hol-56.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Block 13 on Duke of Gloucester Street at the corner of Nassau Street, including the Taliaferro-Cole House and Shop, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H045 Print Hol-42.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the intersection of Duke of Gloucester Street and Henry Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. To the left is the College Pharmacy and to the right is Casey's Store.

H235 Print Hol-114.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Duke of Gloucester Street looking west from its intersection with Botetourt Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H039 Print Hol-47.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking northwest along Block 22 on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. A corner of the John Blair House is visible to the far right. To the left of the Blair House is the G. Mullen Dry Goods and…

H042 Print Hol-45.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking southwest at the Henry Street side of Block 15 towards R. Smith's Meat Market, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H238 Print Hol-119.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Raleigh Tavern site when occupied by the L.W. Lane Store, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H232 Print Hol-111.jpg
Looking northwest on Duke of Gloucester Street towards the James City Furniture Company (formerly Samuel Harris Store) in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-103.jpg
View from corner of Duke of Gloucester, Richmond, and Jamestown roads towards Brafferton Hall at the College of William and Mary, circa 1928. Sign on the shop on the far left of the photo reads "College Shop Luncheonette Student Supplies."

D-87.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking down Duke of Gloucester Street towards the College of William and Mary, at the intersection with Nassau St., Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Shops on the right include New York Tailor and an Army Store.

D-64.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the site of the Printing Office and Post Office, looking south, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Crutchfield's cafe and A.W. Hitchens grocery store are visible across the street,

D-57.jpg
Casey Gift Shop, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition, circa 1929.

D-18.jpg
The James City Furniture Company when located on the site of the William Waters House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-7D.jpg
Structures on Cole Property, Rectory (no longer standing) and Taliaferro-Cole Shop (selling post cards and road maps), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Swem-09.jpg
South and east facades of the Prentis Store (formerly Dr. Blair's Apothecary Shop), when operated as a barber shop, 213 E. Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Na446.jpg
Newly completed Merchants Square shops, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1933.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2