Browse Items (13 total)

  • Tags: Robert Carter House

D-50.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking across Palace Green towards the Robert Carter House (formerly known as the Saunders-Dinwiddie House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-47.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the side elevation of the Robert Carter House (formerly the Saunders Dinwiddie House), circa 1928.

D-51.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Saunders-Dinwiddie House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

AVPC-093-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring photo of the Carter-Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House.) Back of card reads: The Carter Saunders House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Erected early in the 18th century, this house was purchased by…

Na1679.jpg
Robert Carter House under restoration, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

HLS-93.jpg
View of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Geometric parterres bordered with boxwood hedges are intersected by brick pathways to create an ornate and orderly vista. The necessary or privy is situated at…

PSC-016.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Carter-Saunders House, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the sixteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co.…

D2010-COPY-0106-1030.jpg
Looking west on Palace Green, this streetscape shows Bruton Parish Church, the George Wythe House and outbuildings, the Elkanah Deane House and the Carter Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House).

D2008-COPY-1014-1022.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, looking to the northeast from the Robert Carter house, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a broad, imposing green, the governor’s…

LC355P4.jpg
A decorative gate weighted with a ball and chain leads into the garden of the Robert Carter House, 1935.

LC355P3.jpg
Close-up view of the front entrance of the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Restoration of the structure between 1931-1932 involved removal of the two story Doric portico added in the nineteenth century. While the hanging pediment…

LC355P2.jpg
View of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Geometric parterres bordered with boxwood hedges are intersected by brick pathways to create an ornate and orderly vista. The necessary or privy is situated at…

LC355P1.jpg
A path leads from the Governor's Palace towards the Robert Carter House overlooking the east side of Palace Green, 1935. One of the original eighty-eight buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the home served as residence for various members of the…