Browse Items (205 total)

  • Tags: Shutters

HLS-44.jpg
Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-43.jpg
Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other…

HLS-46.jpg
View of the Levingston Kitchen from across Palace Street. Located on the East side of Palace Green, the kitchen is the only structure that remains from a housing complex constructed by William Levingston in the early eighteenth-century. Levingston is…

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…

AVPC-93-090-R.jpg
Postcard depicting the James Semple House (now known as the William Finnie House), Williamsburg, Va., published by the Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "James Semple House, Williamsburg, Virginia. A restored house which though built…

AV-2003-06-24-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a view of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. Part of a series produced by the Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New York, for Colonial Williamsburg, the card is an example of early efforts…

AVPC-427-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a view of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. Part of a series of cards produced by the Albertype Company to promote Williamsburg as a tourist…

AV-2000-10-05-R.jpg
Exterior of the Coke-Garrett House, view looking northwest. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the structure later became the home of the Garrett family. The Garretts added the central Greek Revival-style portion to the…

AV-2003-06-22-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the northwest elevation of Bruton Parish Church and its cemetery. Published by the Albertype Company and sold by H.D. Cole in his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street, it is an example of a souvenir card…

AVPC-093-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring photo of the Carter-Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House.) Back of card reads: The Carter Saunders House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Erected early in the 18th century, this house was purchased by…

AV-97-05-04-R.jpg
Part of the Albertype Company series, this postcard depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street soon after its restoration to its eighteenth-century appearance.

The card's caption reads: "Throughout the eighteenth century this…

AV-2000-2-10-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard of the William Finnie House, once known as the Peyton Randolph House, published by H.D. Cole, News Dealer.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William…

AV-2003-06-21-R.jpg
Recto and verso of early Divided Back postcard published by Williamsburg resident Henry Dennison Cole and sold at his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street. It features a view of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church from the cemetery. The shutters on…

D-1D.jpg
Ernest Cumber House prior to its demolition during the restoration of Williamsburg in the 1930s.

D-2B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-2D.jpg
Pre- restoration view of front and side elevations of the Taliaferro-Cole House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

D-4.jpg
Pre-restoration view of William Finnie House (formerly the James Semple House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2