Highlights of the Susan Higginson Nash Photograph Collection

Title

Highlights of the Susan Higginson Nash Photograph Collection

Subject

Nash, Susan Higginson
Williamsburg (Va.)--History
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia
Documentary photography - Virginia
Architectural photographs - 1930-1940

Description

Susan Higginson Nash was born in Brookline, Massachusetts on August 8, 1893 and died in Boston on July 25, 1971. She served as a consultant on antiques and interior decoration in association with the Boston architectural firm of Perry, Shaw, & Hepburn, chosen to carry out the early work on Williamsburg's restoration. Later a member of the American Institute of Decorators, she was a friend of architect William G. Perry with whom she first visited Williamsburg in 1923. During field trips to Virginia sites, she met the popular Richmond novelist Ellen Glasgow, who advised her: "If you do any work at Williamsburg, make it perceptible." Mrs. Nash felt this was a wonderful phrase and quoted it often, evidently taking it to mean that the work should be subtly and sympathetically done.

Most of the photos in the Susan Higginson Nash Photograph Collection date to the 1930s, when steps to be taken in the physical restoration of the Colonial Capital were still under study. Sites include many of the important extant eighteenth-century houses in the Tidewater region of Virginia, such as Shirley, Westover, Mt. Airy, Sabine Hall and Marmion. Excursions to such sites were made to help in determining proper precedents for the work to be carried out in Williamsburg's Historic Area.

Creator

Nash, Susan Higginson

Date

1930s

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Items in the Highlights of the Susan Higginson Nash Photograph Collection Collection

Palace Green
Pre-restoration view of Palace Green looking towards the George Wythe House (left) and Williamsburg Presbyterian Church (right),circa 1920's,

Move of Bathurst-Peachy House
The Bathurst-Peachy House being moved across Palace Green, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930. In the background, the old Williamsburg High School is shown prior to its demolition.

Peter Powell House
Peter Powell house on York Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

George Jackson House
Pre-restoration view of the George Jackson House, 135 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Allard House
View of Allard House before being demolished, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Robert Nicholson House
Robert Nicholson House, 139 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Benjamin Waller House
Benjamin Waller House, 550 E. Francis St., Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Owen's Garage
Owen's Garage, (demolished), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s

Frank Clark House
Frank Clark House, (demolished), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Old Cape Henry Lighthouse
Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, Virginia Beach, Virginia, circa 1930's

Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, Virginia, circa 1930's

Margaret Hunter Shop Under Restoration
Margaret Hunter Shop under restoration, 405 E. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Williamsburg Business District
Pre-restoration view of Merchant's Square area, looking northeast from College Corner, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

College Corner
Looking north along Boundary Street from College Corner, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Firehouse
Firehouse, now demolished and once located on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1930.

Merchants Square
Newly completed Merchants Square shops, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1933.

Josias Moody House
Josias Moody House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Bassett Hall Outbuildings
Bassett Hall Outbuildings, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Powell-Hallam House
Powell-Hallam House [now known as the Seymour Powell Tenement], Williamsburg, VA, circa 1930s.

Stratford Hall
Pre-restoration view of Stratford Hall, Westmoreland County, Virginia, circa 1930s.