Vernon M. Geddy Jr. Photograph Collection

Dublin Core


Vernon M. Geddy Jr. Photograph Collection


Geddy, Vernon Meredith Jr., 1926-2005
Frank, Ernest M., 1914-1968
Cogar Shop (Williamsburg, Va.)
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - King and Queen County
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - King and Queen County
Block 07. Building 12A.
Cogar, James Lowry, 1906-1987


Collection of sixty-five black and white photographs donated by Vernon M. Geddy Jr., a local attorney and long-time Williamsburg resident whose father, Vernon M. Geddy Sr., assisted with legal matters connected with Williamsburg's resotration in the late 1920s and early 1930s and who became an executive officer of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. Some of the photographs bear the initials of Ernest M. Frank, who rose from the rank of Architectural Draftsman to Assistant Vice-President over the course of a three-decade career at Colonial Williamsburg.

The photos all relate to Rosewood, a residence in King and Queen County, Virginia, that was dismantled and moved to Colonial Williamsburg in 1948 to become the residence of James Lowry Cogar and John Lewis. Since several of the photos show individuals inspecting and measuring the building and a few have the date 1948 noted on them, it is thought they all date to around the time period when the house moved from King and Queen County to Williamsburg. The advent of World War II slowed plans for a proposed Phase II expansion of restoration efforts. Buildings along York Street east of the Capitol site had not yet received much study. Cogar purchased the Nicolson House on York Street in 1940 with a goal of restoring it from its dilapidated state back to its eighteenth-century condition. Around 1947, he purchased Rosewood, a house in King and Queen County, Virginia surviving from the middle of the eighteenth-century, as his second restoration project. He arranged for the dismantling and reconstruction of the home next to the Robert Nicolson House in Williamsburg. Cogar continued to live on York Street after leaving Colonial Williamsburg's employ in 1948 and operated his own antique furniture firm, Cogar, Lewis, and Geiger Inc., until 1962. Today the restored home formerly known as Rosewood is called the Cogar Shop in his honor. It houses Colonial Williamsburg staff offices.

James Cogar began his employment in 1931 to assist the Williamsburg Restoration staff with acquisition of artwork and furnishings for the interiors of various exhibition buildings. He became Colonial Williamsburg's first curator and head of the Department of Collections and continued to oversee the museum's object acquisitions, as well as provide guidance on appropriate antique furniture and furnishings for exhibition buildings, until 1948. After restoring the NIcolson House and moving Rosewood from King and Queen County to a lot next to the NIcholson House on York Street, Cogar opened his antique furniture firm, Cogar, Lewis, and Geiger Inc. Upon closure of this business, he sold the Cogar Shop and the Nicolson House to Colonial Williamsburg in 1964 and moved back to his hometown of Midway, Kentucky to become Executive Director of Shakertown.

Is Part Of

Vernon M. Geddy Jr. Photograph Collection, AV2009.18




65 photographs



Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Collection Items

AV2009-18_GED065 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED064 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED063 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED062 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED061 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED056 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED055 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED054 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED053 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED052 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED051 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED050 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED049 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED048 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
AV2009-18_GED046 w.jpg

Unknown 1948
View all 64 items