Browse Items (67 total)

  • Tags: Boxwood

HLS-26.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a man dwarfed by huge boxwood hedges at an unidentified location, possibly in Virginia.

HLS-52.jpg
Rear elevation of the Custis Tenement, once known as the Maupin House, as it appeared from the west in 1932. Landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff designed the formal boxwood garden laid out in parterres between brick pathways and based it upon a…

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

PSC-020.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of St. George Tucker House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twentieth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story…

PSC-019.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of exterior of St. George Tucker House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the nineteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the…

PSC-016.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Carter-Saunders House, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the sixteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co.…

D2008-COPY-1014-1061.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, view of the formal boxwood garden and the eastern facade of the Tucker House Kitchen, 1933. The St. George Tucker House is one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century structures, and this view…

D2008-COPY-1014-1034.jpg
View of the formal gardens behind the Governor's Palace, flanking one side of the Ballroom Wing, 1933. These gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a…

D2008-COPY-1014-1033.jpg
Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an…

D2008-COPY-1014-1030.jpg
Exterior view through a wrought-iron gate of the north facade of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, 1933. In the background stands the Ballroom Wing, an addition constructed during the early 1750s by Governor Robert Dinwiddie,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1028.jpg
Exterior view of the north and west facades of the Governor's Palace and formal gardens, looking southeast from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1933. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition constructed during the 1750s,…

LC332P11.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

LC362P2.jpg
View of the exterior of the James Galt House taken from the left to show the boxwood garden adjacent to the residence. James Galt served as a keeper at the Public Hospital and constructed the house in its original location on the hospital grounds in…

LC362P3.jpg
View of the exterior of the James Galt House taken from the left to show the boxwood garden adjacent to the residence. James Galt served as a keeper at the Public Hospital and constructed the house in its original location on the hospital grounds in…

LC362P4.jpg
View of the exterior of the James Galt House taken from the left to show the garden with geometric parterres adjacent to the residence. James Galt served as a keeper at the Public Hospital and constructed the house in its original location on the…

LC355P2.jpg
View of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Geometric parterres bordered with boxwood hedges are intersected by brick pathways to create an ornate and orderly vista. The necessary or privy is situated at…

LC333P18 - Copy.jpg
View of the formal pleasure garden at the Coke-Garrett House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Several brick paths lead past geometric parterres towards a circular parterre in the garden's center. Each parterre is outlined with rows of small boxwood…

LC333P17 - Copy.jpg
A brick pathway leads past an outbuilding covered with roses in the Coke-Garrett House garden, 1935.

LC333P16 - Copy.jpg
View of a brick pathway leading towards an outbuilding covered with climbing roses in the Coke-Garrett House garden, 1935.

LC333P13 - Copy.jpg
View of a brick pathway leading towards a bench in a peaceful spot along a fence in the Coke-Garrett House garden, 1935.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2