Browse Items (70 total)

  • Tags: Boxwood

HLS-52.jpg
Rear elevation of the Custis Tenement, once known as the Maupin House, as it appeared from the west in 1932. Landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff designed the formal boxwood garden laid out in parterres between brick pathways and based it upon a…

HLS-26.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a man dwarfed by huge boxwood hedges at an unidentified location, possibly in Virginia.

HLS-77.jpg
Boxwood plants arriving on Chesapeake & Ohio railroad cars behind the Governor's Palace during the installation of the complex's extensive formal garden in the early 1930s.

HLS-58.jpg
Lantern slide depicting a typical grouping of colonial outbuildings and fences situated in a garden behind an unidentified home in Colonial Williamsburg.

HLS-64.jpg
Gazebo in the Travis House garden, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

HLS-74.jpg
Remnants of boxwood and an ornamental bench provide a pre-restoration view of the garden behind the Coke-Garrett House.

HLS-76.jpg
A large boxwood plant awaiting installation in the Governor's Palace formal garden, circa early 1930s.

HLS-94.jpg
View looking from the garden towards the rear of the Coke-Garrett House. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the house later became the home of the Garrett family in the nineteenth century. The garden features a…

HLS-136.jpg
Boxwood hedges and flowering trees accent a walled garden within the grounds of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Be228.jpg
Boxwood hedges in the garden of John H. Bernard, Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia

Be133.jpg
Boxwood arbor in garden of Belleville, Gloucester County, Virginia

Be134.jpg
Outbuilding and boxwood hedge on the grounds of Belleville, Gloucester County, Virginia

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

Garr-017A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of rear view of the Ballroom Wing of the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-020A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of St. George Tucker House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

LC327P9.jpg
This view from the pleached hornbeam arbor at the Governor’s Palace shows the north and west facades. The ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, includes the royal arms in its pedimented gable. Gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include…

LC327P6.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground stands a female costumed interpreter, dressed in a gown and holding a bouquet…

LC327P7.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. Two female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses") stand amidst a formal boxwood…

LC327P8.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, and the royal arms…

LC327P10.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are three female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2