Browse Items (70 total)

  • Tags: Boxwood

LC327P9.jpg
This view from the pleached hornbeam arbor at the Governor’s Palace shows the north and west facades. The ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, includes the royal arms in its pedimented gable. Gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include…

LC327P6.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground stands a female costumed interpreter, dressed in a gown and holding a bouquet…

LC327P7.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. Two female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses") stand amidst a formal boxwood…

LC327P8.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, featuring a rear elevation view of the north and west facades from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1935. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, and the royal arms…

LC327P10.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are three female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in…

LC327P11.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, featuring the rear entrance and ballroom wing of the building, 1935. The ballroom wing was built as an addition during the 1750s. Above its doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is…

LC327P13.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are two female costumed interpreters (once referred to as "hostesses"), dressed…

LC327P14.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, featuring the rear entrance and ballroom wing of the building, 1935. The ballroom wing was built as an addition during the 1750s. Above its doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is…

LC327P15.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are two female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in gowns…

LC327P16.jpg
View of the formal gardens behind the Governor's Palace, flanking one side of the Ballroom Wing, 1935. These gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a…

LC327P18.jpg
Rear elevation view of the formal gardens behind the Palace, as observed from a pleached hornbeam arbor, 1935. These gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles,…

LC327P19.jpg
Rear elevation view of the formal gardens behind the Palace, as observed from a pleached hornbeam arbor, 1935. Three female costumed interpreters (once referred to as "hostesses") are visible, dressed in gowns and holding flowers. These gardens,…

LC327P20B.jpg
View of the Revolutionary War burial ground, behind the formal gardens of the Governor's Palace, 1935. Soldiers' bodies were interred here when the Palace served as a hospital during the Revolution. The structure to the far right, built into the…

LC327P21.jpg
View of the pathways and gardens adjacent to the Revolutionary War burial ground, with entrance gate to the cemetery at left, 1935. This Revolutionary War burial ground is located behind the formal gardens of the Governor's Palace. Soldiers' bodies…

LC327P22.jpg
View of the Revolutionary War burial ground, behind the formal gardens of the Governor's Palace, 1935. Soldiers' bodies were interred here when the Palace served as a hospital during the Revolution. The main entrance gate to the cemetery is at…

LC327P45.jpg
Overhead view of the Palace Green, looking south from the Governor's Palace, 1935. Palace Street rings the Green. Formal gardens are visible in the forecourt of the Palace, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands outside the front gate. Two male…

LC327P46.jpg
Overhead view of the Palace Green, looking south through a window of the Governor's Palace. Palace Street rings the Green. At the front gate of the Palace stands a gowned female costumed interpreter (once referred to as a "hostess"), while a carriage…

LC327P49.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, northwest facade, 1935. In the foreground, the rear entrance and ballroom wing of the building is visible, while the main wing of the Governor's Palace stands in the background. The ballroom wing was built as an…

LC332P6.jpg
Close-up view of the chimney of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added…

LC332P8.jpg
Distant view of the St. George Tucker House taken from Palace Green. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2