Browse Items (68 total)

  • Tags: Columns

HLS-16.jpg
Front elevation of Mt. Airy, the seat of the Tayloe family near Richmond, Virginia, as it looked in the first half of the twentieth-century.

HLS-42.jpg
Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862 damaged parts of the structure but never completely destroyed exterior walls.

When the wing…

HLS-129.jpg
Automobiles parked in the semi-circular drive in front of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia.

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…

HLS-69.jpg
Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935. The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street corner. Next…

AVPC-93-090-R.jpg
Postcard depicting the James Semple House (now known as the William Finnie House), Williamsburg, Va., published by the Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "James Semple House, Williamsburg, Virginia. A restored house which though built…

Be123.jpg
Front elevation of Belleville, Gloucester County, Virginia

Be139.jpg
Front elevation of Bray House, King and Queen County, Virginia.

Be113.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the east elevation of the columned portico of the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Carter-Saunders House and the Saunders-Dinwiddie House, Williamsburg, Virginia.

AV-2000-02-11-R.jpg
Postcard featuring the front entrance of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia, published by Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. and printed by Atelier Graphique, 1955.

The caption reads: "Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia. This structure is…

D-2B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the President's House at the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia.

D-3.jpg
Southeast elevation of the Courthouse, circa 1928, as it appeared after restoration in 1911. When a fire gutted the interior in 1911, four columns were installed to support the exterior portico.

D-4.jpg
Pre-restoration view of William Finnie House (formerly the James Semple House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-12.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Benjamin Powell House, formerly known as the Lane House and as the Powell-Waller House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-19A.jpg
Side elevation of First Baptist Church when located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. A sign posted on a tree reads "Powder Horn Built 1714 Admission 10 cents."

D-21.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Dr. Barraud House, formerly known as the Ryland House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-23B.jpg
Front and side elevation of Tazewell Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928, prior to its dismantling and move to Newport News, Virginia, in 1954.

D-42.jpg
Pre-restoration view of northwest elevation of the Moody House, formerly known as the C.S. Lee House and Roper-Lee House, Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-44.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north elevation of the George Reid House, formerly know as the Barlow House and as Captain Orr's Dwelling, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-47.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the side elevation of the Robert Carter House (formerly the Saunders Dinwiddie House), circa 1928.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2