Browse Items (106 total)

  • Tags: Exteriors

D2008-COPY-1014-1056.jpg
Exterior of the George Reid House, western facade, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. Built around 1790, it served as a residence for a merchant who owned a shop further up the street. "Archaeological excavations revealed that a path near…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1052.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

D2008-COPY-1014-1036.jpg
Exterior view of the Smokehouse, Laundry, Salthouse, and Bagnio outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1933. In the foreground is the Palace Smokehouse (depicted by a whitewashed wooden structure with a shingled roof), where meat…

D2008-COPY-1014-1033.jpg
Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an…

D2008-COPY-1014-1030.jpg
Exterior view through a wrought-iron gate of the north facade of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, 1933. In the background stands the Ballroom Wing, an addition constructed during the early 1750s by Governor Robert Dinwiddie,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1028.jpg
Exterior view of the north and west facades of the Governor's Palace and formal gardens, looking southeast from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1933. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition constructed during the 1750s,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1017.jpg
Exterior of the William Finnie Quarters, just east of the William Finnie House, 1933. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the William Finnie Quarters (and the adjoining William Finnie House, not pictured here) are…

D2008-COPY-1014-1012.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south facade, viewed from the southwest, 1933. The brick wall and southern entry gate are in the foreground, and in the background, the royal coat of arms is visible on the cupola above the entrance to the building.…

D2008-COPY-1014-1003.jpg
Exterior of the John Blair House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend James Blair (1655-1743),…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC329P17.jpg
Front elevation of the Wren Building, College of William and Mary, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC357P1.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the…

LC357P3.jpg
Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and…

LC357P4.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early…

LC357P5.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…

LC358P1.jpg
Exterior view of the Palmer House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen. It stands behind the main house, built by lawyer John Palmer, and provided a…

LC359P2.jpg
View looking from the William Lightfoot Kitchen towards the west side of the George Reid House on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Built around 1790, it served as a residence for a merchant who owned a shop further up the street. It is an example…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2