Browse Items (60 total)

  • Tags: Francis Street

LC357P2.jpg
This view of the north front of the William Finnie House shows the property as first restored. An original structure remaining intact from the late eighteenth century, the building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture and…

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

LC325P27.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south and western facades, viewed from across Francis Street to the southwest. Francis Street and the Capitol's south-facing lawn are in the foreground, and the Capitol stands in the background surrounded by the…

LC325P28.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south and western facades, viewed from across Francis Street to the southwest. Francis Street and the Capitol's south-facing lawn are in the foreground, featuring a female costumed interpreter wearing a gown and…

LC356P1.jpg
View across Francis Street towards the Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt,…

LC448P1.jpg
Exterior view of The Quarter from outside a fence, 1935. "Little is known about The Quarter, a small nineteenth-century cottage, although it is believed that it served for a time as a slave quarter. The addition of a shed portion at the rear of the…

LC365P7.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House from Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…

LC357P5.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held…

LC357P4.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early…

LC357P3.jpg
Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and…

LC357P1.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1046.jpg
Exterior of the Masonic Lodge, viewed from Francis Street, 1933. "The...Masonic Lodge on the north side of Francis Street stands where 'the ancient and loyal society of free and accepted Masons' met in the late eighteenth century. The Williamsburg…

D2008-COPY-1014-1048.jpg
Exterior of the Ewing House and Josias Moody House, viewed to the south on Francis Street, 1933. The Ewing House (on the left) "...is named for Ebenezer Ewing, a Scottish merchant. When he died in 1795, Ewing left the house to Elizabeth Ashton, the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1050.jpg
Exterior of the John Orrell House, viewed on the south side of Francis Street, 1933. "Probably built between 1750 and 1775, the Orrell House takes its name from John Orrell, who acquired the property about 1810. The entrance hall, or 'passage,' of…

PSC-017.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of exterior elevation of William Finnie House, formerly known as Captain Orr's Dwelling, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the seventeenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los…

AV-2003-06-66-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a view of the Powder Magazine soon after its initial restoration by the APVA. Published by Louis Kaufmann & Sons, the card offers a perspective looking south towards Francis Street..

The octagonal Powder…

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2