Browse Items (219 total)

  • Tags: Historic Buildings

Na1005.jpg
The Ayscough Kitchen prior to its restoration, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

HLS-142.jpg
Interior of the Supper Room in the Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. A Chinese wallpaper pattern is visible on the walls, though it has since been removed. Among the room's furnishings, an elegant marble-topped sideboard table…

HLS-119.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

HLS-71.jpg
Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. The structure included cells for the…

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

HLS-5.jpg
Bruton Parish Church as it appeared in the early 1930s, facing north across Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia.

AV-2000-2-10-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard of the William Finnie House, once known as the Peyton Randolph House, published by H.D. Cole, News Dealer.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William…

AV-2003-06-62-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, Williamsburg, Virginia. Created by the Albertype Co. and published by the Williamsburg Drug Co., the card dates to the early 1930s. It shows…

AV-2001-09-01 R.jpg
Postcard featuring the North elevation of Bassett Hall published by The Williamsburg Drug Co. in association with The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Va. Built about 1765. Residence of the Hon. Burwell…

D2008-COPY-1014-1067.jpg
Exterior view of the entrance to the Great Hall of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, 1933. Professors and students gathered in the Great Hall at long tables and benches to dine and converse during the colonial era. The room also…

D2008-COPY-1014-1065.jpg
Exterior view of the west elevation of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, 1933. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures…

D2008-COPY-1014-1063.jpg
Proposed addition to the Williamsburg Inn, view from the southeast looking northwest, 1938. This proposed addition was never built. "Abby and John D. Rockefeller, Jr. were involved in every aspect of the design, construction, and furnishing of the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1061.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, view of the formal boxwood garden and the eastern facade of the Tucker House Kitchen, 1933. The St. George Tucker House is one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century structures, and this view…

D2008-COPY-1014-1059.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, viewed from behind the fence of the Roscow-Cole Stable yard across Nicholson Street, 1933. This view of the St. George Tucker property shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original…

D2008-COPY-1014-1056.jpg
Exterior of the George Reid House, western facade, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. Built around 1790, it served as a residence for a merchant who owned a shop further up the street. "Archaeological excavations revealed that a path near…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1052.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

D2008-COPY-1014-1050.jpg
Exterior of the John Orrell House, viewed on the south side of Francis Street, 1933. "Probably built between 1750 and 1775, the Orrell House takes its name from John Orrell, who acquired the property about 1810. The entrance hall, or 'passage,' of…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2