Browse Items (219 total)

  • Tags: Historic Buildings

D2008-COPY-1014-1048.jpg
Exterior of the Ewing House and Josias Moody House, viewed to the south on Francis Street, 1933. The Ewing House (on the left) "...is named for Ebenezer Ewing, a Scottish merchant. When he died in 1795, Ewing left the house to Elizabeth Ashton, the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1046.jpg
Exterior of the Masonic Lodge, viewed from Francis Street, 1933. "The...Masonic Lodge on the north side of Francis Street stands where 'the ancient and loyal society of free and accepted Masons' met in the late eighteenth century. The Williamsburg…

D2008-COPY-1014-1044.jpg
Exterior of the Powder Magazine, looking southwest toward the building's entrance, 1933. Among Williamsburg's original eighteenth-century buildings, the octagonal Powder Magazine has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715…

D2008-COPY-1014-1042.jpg
Exterior of the Ludwell-Paradise Stable, viewed from Nicholson Street, 1933. A dovecote is visible in the gable-end roof of the stable, with holes for pigeons to roost in (though the holes have recently been covered over). The Cooper's Shop is now…

D2008-COPY-1014-1041.jpg
Exterior of the Grissell Hay Kitchen, viewed from North England Street, 1933. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen, and provided a freestanding building for cooks to work in. This allowed…

D2008-COPY-1014-1039.jpg
Interior view of the Governor’s Palace Kitchen, featuring a female costumed interpreter in the role of an enslaved cook or scullery maid, 1933. The Governor's Palace (and its outbuildings, like the Palace Kitchen) opened to the public in 1934. In…

D2008-COPY-1014-1036.jpg
Exterior view of the Smokehouse, Laundry, Salthouse, and Bagnio outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1933. In the foreground is the Palace Smokehouse (depicted by a whitewashed wooden structure with a shingled roof), where meat…

D2008-COPY-1014-1034.jpg
View of the formal gardens behind the Governor's Palace, flanking one side of the Ballroom Wing, 1933. These gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a…

D2008-COPY-1014-1033.jpg
Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an…

D2008-COPY-1014-1030.jpg
Exterior view through a wrought-iron gate of the north facade of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, 1933. In the background stands the Ballroom Wing, an addition constructed during the early 1750s by Governor Robert Dinwiddie,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1028.jpg
Exterior view of the north and west facades of the Governor's Palace and formal gardens, looking southeast from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1933. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition constructed during the 1750s,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1027.jpg
Exterior of the western Advance Building of the Governor's Palace, 1933.  Reconstructed between March 1932 and April 1934, the western Advance Building likely served varying functions over time.  According to architectural historian Ed Chappel (the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1024.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, looking out through the front gate at the arrival of a carriage and costumed interpreters, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a broad,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1022.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, looking to the northeast from the Robert Carter house, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a broad, imposing green, the governor’s residence…

D2008-COPY-1014-1021.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory, 1933. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. "In its…

D2008-COPY-1014-1019.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol, north façade, 1933. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. "In…

D2008-COPY-1014-1017.jpg
Exterior of the William Finnie Quarters, just east of the William Finnie House, 1933. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the William Finnie Quarters (and the adjoining William Finnie House, not pictured here) are…

D2008-COPY-1014-1015.jpg
Exterior of the Coke-Garrett House, view looking northwest, 1933. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the structure later became the home of the Garrett family. The Garretts added the central Greek Revival-style portion to…

D2008-COPY-1014-1012.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south facade, viewed from the southwest, 1933. The brick wall and southern entry gate are in the foreground, and in the background, the royal coat of arms is visible on the cupola above the entrance to the building.…

D2008-COPY-1014-1006 - Bracken Tenement001.jpg
Exterior of the Bracken Tenement (formerly known as the Montague House), view of the east façade, 1928. “The Reverend Mr. John Bracken, who had extensive real estate holdings along Francis Street, owned the…Bracken Tenement...and the Bracken Kitchen.…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2