Browse Items (30 total)

  • Tags: Hostesses

HLS-107.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view of front gate, 1935. A female costumed interpreter (once called a "hostess") stands in a gown at the front gate, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands in the front drive. Two male costumed interpreters,…

PSC-044.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935 of a costumed hostess posing in the Governor's Palace garden. It is the forty-fourth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now…

PSC-040.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of Palace Green taken by F.S. Lincoln from a second floor window in the Governor's Palace in 1935. It is the fortieth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now…

PSC-017.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of exterior elevation of William Finnie House, formerly known as Captain Orr's Dwelling, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the seventeenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1039.jpg
Interior view of the Governor’s Palace Kitchen, featuring a female costumed interpreter in the role of an enslaved cook or scullery maid, 1933. The Governor's Palace (and its outbuildings, like the Palace Kitchen) opened to the public in 1934. In…

D2008-COPY-1014-1033.jpg
Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an…

D2008-COPY-1014-1024.jpg
Exterior of the Governor's Palace, looking out through the front gate at the arrival of a carriage and costumed interpreters, 1933. “The Governor’s Palace was an important element in [Williamsburg’s] great civic design. Sited at the end of a broad,…

LC357P3.jpg
Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC334P6.jpg
View through the front door of the Ludwell-Paradise House of a carriage awaiting a passenger, 1935. The front elevation of the George Reid House is visible across Duke of Gloucester Street.

LC334P2.jpg
A costumed interpreter stands at the front entrance of Ludwell-Paradise House in 1935, soon after it opened as one of the early exhibition buildings at Colonial Williamsburg.

One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at…

LC334P1.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the museum's founding as the first…

LC333P1.jpg
View of the Coke-Garrett House, taken from the garden by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Three costumed interpreters or "hostesses" stand along a brick pathway in the boxwood garden adjacent to the house. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith…

LC327P52.jpg
Overhead view of outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1935. The brick buildings in the back (side by side, facing the camera) are the Scullery and Palace Kitchen. Directly in front of the Palace Kitchen is the whitewashed…

LC327P50.jpg
View through an open gate into a garden behind the Governor's Palace, 1935. Two gowned female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses") are pictured standing in a garden next to a Weeping Willow tree.

LC327P46.jpg
Overhead view of the Palace Green, looking south through a window of the Governor's Palace. Palace Street rings the Green. At the front gate of the Palace stands a gowned female costumed interpreter (once referred to as a "hostess"), while a carriage…

LC327P42.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view of front gate, 1935. A female costumed interpreter (once called a "hostess") stands in a gown at the front gate, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands in the front drive. Two male costumed interpreters,…

LC327P24.jpg
View of the Governor's Palace garden terraces, also known as "falling gardens," 1935. In the foreground, a female costumed interpreter (originally referred to as a "hostess") sits on a bench. These falling gardens, in addition to the canal (at base…

LC327P23.jpg
View of the Governor's Palace garden terraces (originally known as "falling gardens"), 1935. A female costumed interpreter stands in a gown at the top of the garden stairway. The falling gardens are one of the Palace's original eighteenth-century…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2