Browse Items (46 total)

  • Tags: Kitchens

HLS-46.jpg
View of the Levingston Kitchen from across Palace Street. Located on the East side of Palace Green, the kitchen is the only structure that remains from a housing complex constructed by William Levingston in the early eighteenth-century. Levingston is…

AV-2000-2-74-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with an interior view of the George Wythe House kitchen, where several African American costumed interpreters are demonstrating colonial cooking techniques.

Caption reads: "The kitchen of the Wythe House was…

AVPC-129-R.jpg
Recto and verso of an official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring the interior of the Governor's Palace Kitchen. An African American costumed interpreter shells beans in a chair beside the large open fireplace. She is surrounded by colonial…

AVPC-129-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard depicting an African American costumed interpreter shelling beans by the fireplace in the Governor's Palace Kitchen. Published by H.S. Crocker Co., Inc., the card is an example of a 1950s…

AV-2007-01-01-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a reproduction of a painting titled "Aunt Mary" by Eleanor R. Craighill. The African American costumed interpreter is seated on a chair in the Governor's Palace Kitchen at Colonial Williamsburg. This…

AVPC-399-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a drawing by Charles H. Overly of the Governor's Palace Kitchen. The sketch depicts two costumed interpreters demonstrating colonial food preparation techniques by the large open fireplace. Overly…

AVPC-165-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a color photo of a costumed African American interpreter shelling beans by the fire. Published by H.S. Crocker Co., Inc. for Colonial Williamsburg, the card is an example of…

PSC-041.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935 of a costumed interpreter churning butter inside the Governor's Palace Kitchen. It is the forty-first slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California,…

PSC-020.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of St. George Tucker House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twentieth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story…

AV-2000-02-15-R.jpg
Postcard featuring the Custis Kitchen created by C.T. American Art Blue-Sky and published by H.D. Cole, Williamsburg, Va.

The caption reads: "Williamsburg, Va. Mrs. Washington's kitchen. All that is left of her once imposing property, which was in…

D2008-COPY-1014-1061.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, view of the formal boxwood garden and the eastern facade of the Tucker House Kitchen, 1933. The St. George Tucker House is one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century structures, and this view…

D2008-COPY-1014-1041.jpg
Exterior of the Grissell Hay Kitchen, viewed from North England Street, 1933. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen, and provided a freestanding building for cooks to work in. This allowed…

D2008-COPY-1014-1039.jpg
Interior view of the Governor’s Palace Kitchen, featuring a female costumed interpreter in the role of an enslaved cook or scullery maid, 1933. The Governor's Palace (and its outbuildings, like the Palace Kitchen) opened to the public in 1934. In…

LC332P11.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

LC358P1.jpg
Exterior view of the Palmer House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen. It stands behind the main house, built by lawyer John Palmer, and provided a…

LC334P5.jpg
View of the Ludwell-Paradise House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure has a form that is typical of colonial Virginian kitchens with a large brick chimney, two dormers, and weatherboarding.

LC332P10.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

LC332P6.jpg
Close-up view of the chimney of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added…

LC328P12.jpg
Exterior view of the Market Square Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for colonial kitchens. Placing the cooking facilities in a separate outbuilding helped to keep the…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2