Browse Items (46 total)

  • Tags: Kitchens

LC327P1.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

LC327P2.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

LC327P3.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

LC327P4.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

LC327P5.jpg
Interior of Governor’s Palace Kitchen, 1935. The Governor's Palace opened to the public in 1934. In addition to viewing the lavish public rooms and private quarters of Virginia's colonial governors, visitors could also learn about colonial domestic…

LC328P10.jpg
Detail view of the chimney of the Market Square Tavern Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for colonial kitchens. Placing the cooking facilities in a separate outbuilding…

LC328P12.jpg
Exterior view of the Market Square Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for colonial kitchens. Placing the cooking facilities in a separate outbuilding helped to keep the…

LC332P6.jpg
Close-up view of the chimney of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added…

LC332P10.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

LC334P5.jpg
View of the Ludwell-Paradise House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure has a form that is typical of colonial Virginian kitchens with a large brick chimney, two dormers, and weatherboarding.

LC358P1.jpg
Exterior view of the Palmer House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen. It stands behind the main house, built by lawyer John Palmer, and provided a…

LC332P11.jpg
View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to…

D2008-COPY-1014-1039.jpg
Interior view of the Governor’s Palace Kitchen, featuring a female costumed interpreter in the role of an enslaved cook or scullery maid, 1933. The Governor's Palace (and its outbuildings, like the Palace Kitchen) opened to the public in 1934. In…

D2008-COPY-1014-1041.jpg
Exterior of the Grissell Hay Kitchen, viewed from North England Street, 1933. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen, and provided a freestanding building for cooks to work in. This allowed…

D2008-COPY-1014-1061.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, view of the formal boxwood garden and the eastern facade of the Tucker House Kitchen, 1933. The St. George Tucker House is one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century structures, and this view…

AV-2000-02-15-R.jpg
Postcard featuring the Custis Kitchen created by C.T. American Art Blue-Sky and published by H.D. Cole, Williamsburg, Va.

The caption reads: "Williamsburg, Va. Mrs. Washington's kitchen. All that is left of her once imposing property, which was in…

PSC-020.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of St. George Tucker House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twentieth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story…

PSC-041.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935 of a costumed interpreter churning butter inside the Governor's Palace Kitchen. It is the forty-first slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California,…

AVPC-165-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a color photo of a costumed African American interpreter shelling beans by the fire. Published by H.S. Crocker Co., Inc. for Colonial Williamsburg, the card is an example of…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2