Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Powder Magazine

N5344.jpg
Scaffolding surrounds the Powder Magazine during its restoration on Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

H280 Print Hol-169.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking northwest along Francis Street toward the Market Square area, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The roof of the Powder Magazine and rear of the Baptist Church are visible,

1986-443 Print Hol-97.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine in Williamsburg, Virginia, when it was being used as a stable and showing the collasped northeast wall, circa 1890.

H220 Print Hol-98.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine in Williamsburg, Virginia, looking north, and showing the south facade with the Nathaniel Bacon stained glass window, circa 1928.

AV-99-11-00-R1.jpg
A postcard set titled "Greetings from Historic Williamsburg. A Collection of images from Colonial Williamsburg." The cover page includes the Governor's Palace, a view of the Palace gardens, and the interior of Bruton Parish Church. Page two has…

D-107.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine undergoing repairs, circa 1928. The side elevation of the Baptist church that once stood on Market Square is visible behind it.

D-19A.jpg
Side elevation of First Baptist Church when located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. A sign posted on a tree reads "Powder Horn Built 1714 Admission 10 cents."

Swem-04.jpg
North and west facades of the Williamsburg Hotel (formerly Bell's Hospital), Williamsburg, Virginia. This building was located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, but was demolished during the restoration.

HLS-50.jpg
Exterior of the Powder Magazine, viewed from southeast looking toward the building's entrance, 1935. Among Williamsburg's original eighteenth-century buildings, the octagonal Powder Magazine has taken on many different functions over time.…

HLS-4.jpg
Lantern slide illustrated with a photo of the Powder Magazine covered in ivy. It depicts the structure soon after its initial purchase and restoration by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities in the late nineteenth-century.

64-SMT-1188-33-6A.jpg
Éamon De Valera, Irish revolutionary and statesman (left), is seated in a carriage during his tour with Colonial Williamsburg Foundation President Carlisle Humelsine (middle) of the Historic Area. The Magazine is seen in the background.

AV-2000-02-29-R.jpg
Recto of postcard illustrated with a photo of the Powder Magazine covered in a thick coat of ivy. Part of a series of photos taken by The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, New York, and published by the Williamsburg Drug Co., the card dates to the era when…

AVPC-424-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring an illustration of the Powder Magazine and Guardhouse drawn by Charles H. Overly.

The caption reads: "In colonial times, the Magazine housed arms for the defense of Virginia. This building and the…

AV-2003-06-65-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring an illustration of the Powder Magazine in 1910, soon after its restoration and opening as a small museum under the auspices of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.

The octagonal Powder…

AVPC-566-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a hand-colored photo of the Powder Magazine soon after its initial restoration by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.

The octagonal Powder Magazine is an original eighteenth-century…

AV-2003-06-66-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a view of the Powder Magazine soon after its initial restoration by the APVA. Published by Louis Kaufmann & Sons, the card offers a perspective looking south towards Francis Street..

The octagonal Powder…

AV-1996-24-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard produced by The Albertype Co. to promote the Powder Magazine as an historic site after its initial preservation by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.

The octagonal Powder Magazine is an…

AV2001-09-03-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring the Powder Magazine as it appeared in 1898, along with an image of the Nathaniel Bacon stained glass window installed by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. An Act of Congress authorized…

D2014-SC-0004.jpg
The Powder Magazine, another extant colonial building, stood in dilapidated condition by 1870. It was constructed in 1715 to store the arms and ammunition sent for protection of the colony by Queen Anne. This view, looking southeast, shows the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1044.jpg
Exterior of the Powder Magazine, looking southwest toward the building's entrance, 1933. Among Williamsburg's original eighteenth-century buildings, the octagonal Powder Magazine has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2