Browse Items (271 total)

  • Tags: Pre-Restoration

PSC-018.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a pre-restoration photo of the St. George Tucker House. It is the eighteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

HLS-40.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

HLS-43.jpg
Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other…

HLS-45.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House, 1929. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's…

HLS-51.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Margaret Hunter Shop when operated as a service station known as Kinnamon's Store. During the nineteenth-century, the colonial gable end store transformed into a two story structure when a second floor enlargement was…

HLS-55.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the St. George Tucker property, one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the…

HLS-65.jpg
Pre-restoration view along Block 14 of Duke of Gloucester Street, site of the present day Catherine Blaikley House and Durfey Shop. Located on the south side of the street, the Luttrell Building housed several small businesses and a post office.

HLS-74.jpg
Remnants of boxwood and an ornamental bench provide a pre-restoration view of the garden behind the Coke-Garrett House.

HLS-81.jpg
Located on the site of the Raleigh Tavern, the L.W. Lane Store offered a variety of goods ranging from groceries to clothing. Next door to the left stood a smaller building housing Pender’s Grocery Store. Both businesses stood on the portion of Duke…

HLS-88.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Market Square Tavern showing a number of the nineteenth-century additions to the structure that were later removed during its restoration in the early 1930s. They include the open and screened porches along the front and the…

HLS-96.jpg
The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) acquired the site of Williamsburg’s colonial Capitol building in 1897 as a donation from the Old Dominion Land Company. They removed remnants of the Williamsburg Female Academy which…

HLS-105.jpg
The Virginia Electric and Power (VEPCO) Building once stood adjacent to the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia. This photo from circa 1930 shows the structure just prior to its demolition as part of the process of reconstructing…

Na1005.jpg
The Ayscough Kitchen prior to its restoration, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Na1733.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the George Jackson House, 135 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Na1058.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Palace Green looking towards the George Wythe House (left) and Williamsburg Presbyterian Church (right),circa 1920's,

Swem-01.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Ludwell-Paradise House on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Swem-07.jpg
Pre-restoration view of south and east facades of the Alexander Craig House (formerly the Vaiden House), Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Swem-28.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Ewing House, Williamsburg, Virginia.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2