Browse Items (205 total)

  • Tags: Shutters

LC446P1.jpg
Exterior of the William Lightfoot House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The William Lightfoot House and Kitchen on the south side of the street belonged to a Yorktown merchant whose business apparently brought him to Williamsburg so…

LC370P1.jpg
View of Alexander Purdie House from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The reconstructed Alexander Purdie House serves as the east wing of the King's Arms Tavern. In 1774, the Scottish-born Purdie founded the third of three Williamsburg newspapers…

LC365P3.jpg
Exterior view of Travis House, looking down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC364P1.jpg
When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed…

LC363P2.jpg
Exterior detail of the John Blair House, oblique view looking west down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend…

LC361P2.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC361P1.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC360P6.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). …

LC360P2.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC359P3.jpg
View looking from the William Lightfoot Kitchen towards the west side of the George Reid House on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Built around 1790, it served as a residence for a merchant who owned a shop further up the street. It is an example…

LC359P2.jpg
View looking from the William Lightfoot Kitchen towards the west side of the George Reid House on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Built around 1790, it served as a residence for a merchant who owned a shop further up the street. It is an example…

LC358P1.jpg
Exterior view of the Palmer House Kitchen taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The one and a half story structure with a large chimney is a typical form for a colonial kitchen. It stands behind the main house, built by lawyer John Palmer, and provided a…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…

LC357P5.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held…

LC357P4.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early…

LC357P3.jpg
Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and…

LC357P1.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2