Browse Items (36 total)

  • Tags: Transoms

HLS-67.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Williamsburg Theater on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

AV-97-05-04-R.jpg
Part of the Albertype Company series, this postcard depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street soon after its restoration to its eighteenth-century appearance.

The card's caption reads: "Throughout the eighteenth century this…

AVPC-070-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, circa late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Erected in 1755, this house was willed to George Wythe in 1775. Wythe…

AVPC-215-R.jpg
Part of the Historic Virginia Peninsula series, this postcard published by The Dexter Press is misidentified as the John Marshall House. The image featured on the card depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street.

This exterior view…

PSC-025.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of front entrance and sign of the Raleigh Tavern taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twenty-fifth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC357P1.jpg
View from Francis Street looking towards the William Finnie House. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC361P1.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC364P4.jpg
View of front elevation of Davidson Shop when it housed R.W. Mahone & Co. General Merchandise, 1935. Located on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street, the building was reconstructed according to archaeological, architectural, and documentary…

LC355P3.jpg
Close-up view of the front entrance of the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Restoration of the structure between 1931-1932 involved removal of the two story Doric portico added in the nineteenth century. While the hanging pediment…

LC334P6.jpg
View through the front door of the Ludwell-Paradise House of a carriage awaiting a passenger, 1935. The front elevation of the George Reid House is visible across Duke of Gloucester Street.

LC357P2.jpg
This view of the north front of the William Finnie House shows the property as first restored. An original structure remaining intact from the late eighteenth century, the building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture and…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2