Browse Items (36 total)

  • Tags: Transoms

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-67.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Williamsburg Theater on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

AV-97-05-04-R.jpg
Part of the Albertype Company series, this postcard depicts the John Blair House on Duke of Gloucester Street soon after its restoration to its eighteenth-century appearance.

The card's caption reads: "Throughout the eighteenth century this…

AVPC-217-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the front elevation of Berkeley Plantation.

Caption reads; "Most visited of the great James River plantations located along "scenic route five" between…

AVPC-070-R.jpg
Recto and verso of official Colonial Williamsburg postcard illustrated with a photo of the George Wythe House as viewed from Palace Green, circa late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Erected in 1755, this house was willed to George Wythe in 1775. Wythe…

D-21B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the Peyton Randolph House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-22B.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the Peyton Randolph House, circa 1928,

D-24A.jpg
Pre-restoration view from Queen Street of the Bracken Tenement, formerly known as the Montague House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929.

D-25C.jpg
Pre-restoration view of northeast elevation of the Bracken Tenement, formerly known as the Montague House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1929. The house served as the residence of the President of the College of William & Mary, who was also rector…

D-110.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Mayo House, also known as Boston House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Garr-016A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of the Governor's Palace viewed from Palace Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-014A.jpg
Costumed interpreters on the front steps of the Ludwell-Paradise House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-041A.jpg
First floor interior passageway at George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's. On verso of photo is a note written by the photographer.

H184 Print Hol-215.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Robert Nicolson House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

LC357P2.jpg
This view of the north front of the William Finnie House shows the property as first restored. An original structure remaining intact from the late eighteenth century, the building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture and…

LC334P6.jpg
View through the front door of the Ludwell-Paradise House of a carriage awaiting a passenger, 1935. The front elevation of the George Reid House is visible across Duke of Gloucester Street.

LC355P3.jpg
Close-up view of the front entrance of the Robert Carter House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Restoration of the structure between 1931-1932 involved removal of the two story Doric portico added in the nineteenth century. While the hanging pediment…

LC364P4.jpg
View of front elevation of Davidson Shop when it housed R.W. Mahone & Co. General Merchandise, 1935. Located on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street, the building was reconstructed according to archaeological, architectural, and documentary…

LC361P1.jpg
Exterior of the Custis Tenement, viewed from the east on Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. Custis Tenement served as an eighteenth-century rental property. Lot owner John Custis IV leased the house to various Williamsburg residents.

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2