Browse Items (1236 total)

  • Tags: Williamsburg

HLS-105.jpg
The Virginia Electric and Power (VEPCO) Building once stood adjacent to the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia. This photo from circa 1930 shows the structure just prior to its demolition as part of the process of reconstructing…

HLS-52.jpg
Rear elevation of the Custis Tenement, once known as the Maupin House, as it appeared from the west in 1932. Landscape architect Arthur A. Shurcliff designed the formal boxwood garden laid out in parterres between brick pathways and based it upon a…

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

HLS-10.jpg
A map of Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area, showing an elevated perspective view of the city and indicating many of the important exhibition buildings.

HLS-53.jpg
View of a paper mulberry tree ringed by boxwood hedges in the garden behind Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, mid-1930s. Artist Charles Sheeler would later paint this same tree in an oil painting titled "Bassett Hall" given to Abby Aldrich…

HLS-44.jpg
Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-77.jpg
Boxwood plants arriving on Chesapeake & Ohio railroad cars behind the Governor's Palace during the installation of the complex's extensive formal garden in the early 1930s.

HLS-118.jpg
Overhead view of outbuildings flanking the Governor's Palace to the west, 1935. The brick buildings in the back (side by side, facing the camera) are the Scullery and Palace Kitchen. Directly in front of the Palace Kitchen is the whitewashed…

HLS-28.jpg
Lantern slide depicting the advertisement titled "To Be Sold, by William Prince, At Flushing Landing, on Long Island, near New York, a large collection, as follows, of Fruit Trees and Shrubs."

HLS-38.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

HLS-40.jpg
Exterior view of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. One of the oldest academic structures in the United States, the…

HLS-41.jpg
View looking towards the fireplace in the Great Hall of the Wren Building, College of William and Mary. During the colonial era, the room served as a dining area for professors and students to gather for common meals. Members of the House of…

HLS-42.jpg
Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862 damaged parts of the structure but never completely destroyed exterior walls.

When the wing…

HLS-43.jpg
Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other…

HLS-46.jpg
View of the Levingston Kitchen from across Palace Street. Located on the East side of Palace Green, the kitchen is the only structure that remains from a housing complex constructed by William Levingston in the early eighteenth-century. Levingston is…

HLS-129.jpg
Automobiles parked in the semi-circular drive in front of the Williamsburg Inn, Williamsburg, Virginia.

HLS-141.jpg
View of the east end of the Coke-Garrett House, once known as the Lottie Garrett House. The western portion served as the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, while the central Greek Revival style portion was constructed in the…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2