Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Lost architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 08. Building 05.
Ayscough House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Lantern Slides - Hand colored - 1930-1940

Description

Side elevation of the Bourbon House, now known as the Ayscough House, prior to being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the house, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt, and Jacob Bruce, briefly occupied the store and sold various goods to townspeople.

The structure survived from the eighteenth century, although it was hardly recognizable due to the enlargements and modifications made in the nineteenth century. Once restored to its eighteenth-century appearance, the building exhibited such features typical of a commercial establishment as a gable end entrance and large shop window.

Creator

A.D. Handy Co.

Date

Circa 1930s

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slide Collection, AV-2000.9 , Box 1

Format

jpeg

Extent

1 item

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-43

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-43.jpg

Citation

A.D. Handy Co., “Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 20, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1078.