Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core


Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia


Duke of Gloucester Street (Williamsburg, Va.)
Restaurants - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940
Lincoln, F.S.


Hand-colored lantern slide illustrated with a photo of a view looking down Duke of Gloucester Street past the Travis House restaurant. Taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935, the photo served as one of the earliest promotional images for the newly opened establishment.

A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). The structure moved back to its original location at the northeast corner of Francis and Henry Streets in the early 1950s (Block 14, Building 4).

Colonel Edward Champion Travis built the home in 1765 and it acquired several additions as successive owners occupied the site. Travis served in the House of Burgesses and was its most prominent colonial occupant. The house became a residence for superintendents of Eastern State Hospital in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Eastern State Hospital turned the building over to the Williamsburg Restoration in 1929 and this led to its temporary move to Duke of Gloucester Street to become a restaurant.


Lincoln, F.S.



Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2




1 item





Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches


Lincoln, F.S., “Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed February 21, 2024, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1091.