Travis House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Travis House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Travis House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 13. Building 23A.
Restaurants - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure moved back to its original location at the northeast corner of Francis and Henry Streets in the early 1950s.

Colonel Edward Champion Travis built the home in 1765 and it acquired several additions as successive owners occupied the site. Travis served in the House of Burgesses and was its most prominent colonial occupant. The house became a residence for superintendents of Eastern State Hospital in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Eastern State Hospital turned the building over to the Williamsburg Restoration in 1929 and this led to its temporary move to Duke of Gloucester Street to become a restaurant between 1930-1951.

Creator

A. D. Handy Co.

Date

Circa 1930

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-62

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-62.jpg

Citation

A. D. Handy Co., “Travis House, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 26, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1119.