Merchants Square (Williamsburg, Va.)
Central business districts - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored -1930-1940
Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg
This image of the structure housing the present-day Christmas Shop, in what is known as the Arcade Building, shows the evolution of uses on Merchant's Square. Among the earliest in the shopping mall genre, the area has had a variety of tenants. Initially the town's post office, this building now also houses a portion of today's Trellis Restaurant. A portion of Pender's Grocery Store, now the site of Everything Williamsburg, is visible to the left.
A.D. Handy Co.
Is Part Of
Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slide Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2
Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Still Image Item Type Metadata
3.25 x 4 inches
A.D. Handy Co., “Post Office,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 25, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1124.