Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Public Gaol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 27. Building 02
Pillories - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern Slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals ranging from debtors to pirates were confined in the cells to await their trials. Punishments for more minor offenses included time spent in the pillory or stocks outside where bystanders could heckle the offenders.

The pillory and stocks have since been moved to a more centralized location outside the Courthouse on Market Square.

Creator

A D Handy Company

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-73

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-73.jpg

Citation

A D Handy Company, “Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 16, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1129.