Governor's Palace Canal and Grounds

Dublin Core

Title

Governor's Palace Canal and Grounds

Subject

Governor's Palace (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 20. Building 03.
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lincoln, F.S.
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

View of the Governor's Palace canal, 1935. The canal, in addition to the garden terraces to the left (also known as "falling gardens") and Ice House (out of view), are original eighteenth-century features of the Palace gardens. The structure to the left of the Canal is the Palace’s Toolhouse, and behind the Toolhouse, the cupola of the Governor’s Palace is visible. To the far right of the Canal, above the treeline, the steeple of Bruton Parish Church is observable in the distance.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 3

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-127

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Governor's Palace Canal and Grounds,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 5, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1183.