Council Chamber, Capitol
Council Chamber of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. Located on the second floor (West wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, the Council Chamber served as place for members of the Governor's Council to meet. The Council consisted of twelve colonists appointed by the King to serve for life in the upper house of Virginia's legislature.
Interior furnishings and decor reflect curators' views in the 1930s as to how Williamsburg's historic interiors may have looked in the eighteenth century. Nevertheless, with new research advancements over the years, the interiors of the Capitol have changed to reflect a more authentic and accurate view of the building’s likely contents and room arrangements.
At the time this photo was taken, the portrait of Queen Anne (accession #1935-218) is visible in the background to the left on the wall. A painting of Queen Anne's coat of arms is displayed to the right.