Council Chamber, Capitol

Dublin Core

Title

Council Chamber, Capitol

Subject

Block 08. Building 11.
Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Public Buildings-Virginia-Williamsburg
Historic Buildings-Virginia-Williamsburg

Description

Interior view of the Council Chamber in the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. Located on the second floor (West wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, the Council Chamber served as place for members of the Governor's Council to meet. The Council consisted of twelve colonists appointed by the King to serve for life in the upper house of Virginia's legislature.

Interior furnishings and decor reflect curators' views in the 1930s as to how Williamsburg's historic interiors may have looked in the eighteenth century. Nevertheless, with new research advancements over the years, the interiors of the Capitol have changed to reflect a more authentic and accurate view of the building’s likely contents and room arrangements.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC325P7

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board.

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Council Chamber, Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed April 20, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/123.