House of Burgesses, Capitol

Title

House of Burgesses, Capitol

Subject

Block 08. Building 11.
Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Public Buildings-Virginia-Williamsburg
Historic Buildings-Virginia-Williamsburg

Description

Interior view of the House of Burgesses, Capitol, 1935. Located on the first floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this room served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues. As a meeting room, it also served as the scene of many important political debates leading up to the American Revolution.

The two portraits hanging on the back wall are currently part of the collection of the Muscarelle Museum at the College of William & Mary. For many years, the college loaned the two portraits to Colonial Williamsburg for display in the Capitol. To the left is a portrait of King William III by Sir Peter Lely (formerly loan item L1955-483.) To the right is a portrait of Queen Mary II by Sir Godfrey Kneller (formerly loan item L1954-1069.)

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

Jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC325P11

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper, mounted on board.

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Files

LC325P11.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “House of Burgesses, Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/125.