Block 08. Building 11.
Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
View of the Speaker's Chair in the House of Burgesses, Capitol building, 1935. The speaker's chair, which is original, provides a focal point in the main apse with a semi-circle of benches for members of the House along the walls around the room. Located on the first floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, the House of Burgesses served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues. As a meeting room, it also served as the scene of many important political debates leading up to the American Revolution.
This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions
Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Gelatin or collodian printing out paper, mounted on board.
Lincoln, F.S., “Speaker's Chair,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed September 22, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/126.