George Wythe House

Title

George Wythe House

Subject

Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
George Wythe House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 04.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Front elevation of the George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The photo shows the Wythe House after its first period of restoration under the direction of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who resided in it during this era.
Dr. Goodwin added the side porch to the main building’s north façade in 1926 during its renovation as Bruton Parish rectory. Architect Charles M. Robinson, who designed several dormitories for the College of William & Mary, oversaw modifications that included removal of the two-story 19th-century entrance porch and installation of an ornate door surround modeled after the river front example at William Byrd’s Westover plantation on the James River.

Creator

Davidson, D. N.

Date

Circa 1928

Date Created

Circa 1928

Is Part Of

D. N. Davidson Photograph Collection, AV-2013.2, Box 1, Folder 1

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

D-8A
see also 1976-2161

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 inches

Files

D-8A.jpg

Citation

Davidson, D. N. , “George Wythe House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 18, 2018, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1551.