Governor's Palace, Entrance and Green
Overhead view of the Palace Green, looking south from the Governor's Palace, 1935. Palace Street rings the Green. Formal gardens are visible in the forecourt of the Palace, while a carriage drawn by two horses stands outside the front gate. Two male costumed interpreters, representing enslaved coachmen, wait with the carriage.
The long, broad expanse of the Green, lined on either side by catalpa trees (also known as catawba trees), creates an impressive vista and impression of grandeur upon approach to the Palace. "Palace Green was intended to focus the eye as well as the mind on the source of executive authority in Virginia and to provide the stately official residence at its head with an unimpeded vista to the heart of the community and beyond."
(Source: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation website, "See the Places: Historic Sites and buildings: Palace Green," http://www.history.org/almanack/places/hb/hbpalgr.cfm)