St. George Tucker House, Boxwood Garden

Dublin Core

Title

St. George Tucker House, Boxwood Garden

Subject

St. George Tucker House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 29. Building 2.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

View looking from the boxwood garden towards the eastern end of the St. George Tucker House, 1935. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added wings to enlarge the size.
This formal garden composed of boxwood hedges is situated on the east side of the Tucker House Kitchen. A portion of Market Square and the hotel that used to stand on the site of Chowning's Tavern can be seen in the distance.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC332P10

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board.

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “St. George Tucker House, Boxwood Garden,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 29, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/256.