Tazewell Hall and Mary Cary House

Title

Tazewell Hall and Mary Cary House

Subject

Block 44. Building 1.
Tazewell Hall (Williamsburg, Va.)
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Wiliamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

A pre-restoration view of Tazewell Hall at the end of South England Street with the Mary Cary House to the right, Williamsburg, Virginia.
Constructed in the mid-eighteenth-century and originally serving as the home of John Randolph, the home was once located on the southern axis of the town's plan on England Street in the approximate location of today's Williamsburg Lodge, The McMurran family purchased and dismantled the home in the early 1950s when the Lodge expanded. In 1964, they began reconstructing it on Riverside Drive in Newport News where it still stands today.

Creator

Unknown

Date

Circa 1890

Date Created

Circa 1890

Is Part Of

Elizabeth Coleman Photograph Collection, AV2009.56, Box 1, Folder 3

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

Cole-096 W (see also L-291)

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 inches

Files

Cole-096 w.jpg

Citation

Unknown, “Tazewell Hall and Mary Cary House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed February 19, 2020, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/2860.