Bassett Hall, View From Gate

Dublin Core

Title

Bassett Hall, View From Gate

Subject

Block 01. Building 22.
Bassett Hall (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg
Public buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

View of Bassett Hall from the front gate, 1935.  "The Bray family owned the Bassett Hall property from the early seventeenth century until 1753 when it was transferred to Colonel Philip Johnson, husband of Elizabeth Bray.  Johnson probably built the present house soon after."  John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and his wife, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, purchased Bassett Hall in 1927.  After a series of renovations, they resided in the house on a seasonal basis (especially in spring and fall) during the 1930s and 1940s.

(Source: Michael Olmert and Suzanne Coffman, Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg [Williamsburg, VA: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2007], 147).

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC372P1

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Bassett Hall, View From Gate,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed January 20, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/291.