Ayscough Shop and Finnie House From Francis Street

Title

Ayscough Shop and Finnie House From Francis Street

Subject

Ayscough Shop (Williamsburg, Va. : Inn)
William Finnie House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House from Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. The structure survived from the eighteenth century, although it was hardly recognizable due to the enlargements and modifications made in the nineteenth century. Once restored to its eighteenth-century appearance, the building exhibited such features typical of a commercial establishment as a gable end entrance and large shop window.

The structure to the right is the William Finnie House, one of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg. The Finnie House is named after William Finnie, who resided in the home from the 1770s to early 1780s and held the office of quartermaster general of the Southern Department during the American Revolution. The Finnie House holds the distinction of retaining an appearance most closely matching its eighteenth-century form throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC365P7

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Files

LC365P7.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Ayscough Shop and Finnie House From Francis Street,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/305.