Finnie House, View From Right

Dublin Core

Title

Finnie House, View From Right

Subject

William Finnie House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 02. Building 07.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Two costumed hostesses stand at the gate of the William Finnie House in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the office of quartermaster general of the Southern Department during the American Revolution.

The Finnie House holds the distinction of retaining an appearance most closely matching its eighteenth-century form throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Restoration efforts in 1932 and 1952 mainly focused upon bringing a few elements of the entrance porch, such as the Doric columns and architrave, back to their original classical forms.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC357P3

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Finnie House, View From Right,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/335.